Buying too much fruit at the Farmers’ Market is no issue with this recipe for slow-cooker fruit butter. Fruit butter can be made from almost any variety of non-citrus fruit. Spread on biscuits, fold into pancake batter, or use as an ice cream topping. Find more Farmers' Market inspired recipes in our Farmers' Market Cookbook!
5 lbs. fruit
1 cup granulated sugar
½ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
Herbs and spices of choice, if desired
1. Prepare fruit by rinsing under cool water. Peel or pit as needed and cut into 1-inch chunks.
2. Put fruit into slow cooker. Add sugar, salt, and any desired herbs and spices. Stir to combine.
3. Place a wooden spoon across the top of the slow cooker and place the lid on top to allow venting. Cook on LOW, stirring every few hours, until thick and spreadable (about 10-12 hours). Put the spoon back in place beneath the lid after each stir.
4. Turn off slow cooker. Add lemon juice and stir to combine. Leave uncovered to cool. Transfer to blender and blend until smooth.
5. Store in sealed containers in the refrigerator for up to 10 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.